Daddy, Alan, & Katie

Daddy, Alan, & Katie
Camping in the Family Room

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Catch-Up

Well it has been awhile since I posted on our blog.  This week has been a bit hectic, but I finally have a little free time.  Alan had two soccer games last week and he had a great time.  He was focused, attentive, and had a lot of fun with his teammates.  I love the way the team interacts with him and how they all get along.  It is nice to see him making friends.  We are making a lot of changes to Alan's ABA programs and I am hoping with all these new changes we will see improved results in his conversation skills.  He is doing so great with ABA that I feel in a couple of years he will no longer need it.  I cannot wait for that day where we can be just a family without strangers coming in and out of our house all week.  I do not want to say being normal because well we will probably never be that normal family which I think is great.  Its good to be different and think outside of that box.  What fun is it to be just normal.  My son makes me laugh everyday with his quirkiness and great sense of humor, and I would not trade that for anything. 




This past weekend we decided to change the playroom into an even better playroom. We added a nice comfy couch, cable box just for the kids, Wii gaming system, and a nice 10' caterpillar named Jeffrey.  All of this was my husband's idea.  He always seems to come up with some great ideas and so glad he is here to help implement them.  Now, the 10' caterpillar might have been one of those "what were you thinking" buys but the kids love him.  Jeffrey was kind of hard to resist, just look at that face. 

I brought our daughter to see the Princess on Ice show and wished I would have brought Alan with us.  He would of enjoyed it too.  I guess next year's Mickey's Magic Show will have to make up for it.  It was a good day though.  Daddy and Alan spent some quality time together.  They went to Little Gym and then a train ride which Alan enjoyed a lot.

We also met with Alan's supervisor of his ABA program and I see great changes about to occur.  I like the fact we no longer need intensive teaching or table time.  He is such a smart and fast learner that he no longer needs that.  We no longer need to document behavior because well he rarely has behavior problems.  I call them just being 5 because well that is what it is.  He has an opinion and not afraid to express it.  I love the fact we will start doing community outings and show Alan what is out there for him to do.  I think we are about to start the fun ABA therapy.  It was all fun but I just felt he needed a change and this will help him interact with kids his age more and we can really work on those conversation and interaction skills.

We also had a visit from an old friend I guess I could say.  Alan's OT came to visit and see Alan.  It was nice to hear all the comments of how much he has improved and grown.  I enjoy all of these compliments because knowing what we did to help our son made all of it worth it.  I always wonder if I push my son too much and too hard.  Now, I just want to keep going because I can see that finish line.  It does not seem too far now like it did in the beginning.  I know now that all the hours Alan has worked paid off and he will be able to function in the real world.  He will graduate high school and go off to college.  We are lucky parents to have such wonderful children.  They are a joy every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment